Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Kit's Typewriter questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Kenshinchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought Kit's Typewriter for my mom and it's just darling; I was definitely impressed by the quality! From everyone's reviews I had assumed all the buttons were fixed together, not on 3-4 separate rows. (Granted, they all do the same thing, but it looks much more realistic!)

    I could just barely hear the ding, and unfortunately, both my mother and father can't hear it at all! Is it faint for everyone else? I'm wondering if it's at that pitch that adults supposedly can't hear. (I don't have a link to the story, but apparently a shopkeeper found a sound that adults can't hear and had it play outside his shop to keep the teens from loitering. But then teens captured the sound and used it for a ringtone so they can tell if someone texts them during class, and their teacher can't hear it!) My friend and I had tried another typewriter in the store and it was also very quiet. Is it a new quiet batch of typewriters, or do some of you grown-ups have trouble hearing the ding too? Like I said, *I* can hear it, and I'm an adult, but obviously my ears are much younger than my parents'...

    Also, we were unable to get one of her papers to feed into the carriage; is that normal, or is there a trick to it? (My mom instinctively wanted to put the "It's Not Fair" page on the typewriter. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 11, 2006 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Kit's typewriter makes a pretty loud ding, maybe it's an older version? I heard about the story with the kids using that sound to send text messages during class that adults can't hear.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have no problem hearing the ding on my Kit's typewriter, and I am definitely closer to your parents' age than to yours. [img]wink.gif[/img] I have not tried to roll paper into the typewriter, however, so I can't help with that.

  4. #4
    Polly Marie
    Guest Polly Marie's Avatar

    Post

    I have no trouble rolling Kit's paper into the typewriter.
    As for the ring, it is very high-pitched. My dh has trouble hearing low sounds so he can hear the high pitch of the typewriter every time. [img]graemlins/cell.gif[/img] I can only hear it occasionally. Most of the time I hear only the click. I'm guessing that we are close to your parents' ages. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    Most visitors(all ages) can hear the ding and a few can't hear it. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]
    Polly Marie

  5. #5
    thepidget
    Guest thepidget's Avatar

    Post

    Wow, I had no idea that some adults couldn't hear certain pitches.

    I've played with Kit's typewriter before at AGP and I didn't hear any ding. [img]frown.gif[/img] I'm not sure if I wasn't listening closely enough or if it was defective or something. I do plan to get Kit's typewriter someday, so I hope I get one where I can hear the ding!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member uktmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am only 27. I am a Speech-Language Pathologist with many Audiology classes in my near past. I have had my hearing tested many times and hear better than most children. (ie I have EXCELLENT hearing). I have one of the first Kit typewriters as I got it for Christmas with my Kit when she was first released. My typewriter doesn't make a "ding" and never has. Also, the paper doesn't feed through on mine either.

    If anyone is interested... As a person ages, their hearing deteriorates (tiny hair cells in the cochlea "go bad") and people lose the ability (in most cases) to hear higher pitched sounds. This is why many men seem to be "ignoring" their wives, when in reality they become unable to hear the higher pitched sounds, as women have higher pitched voices due to the length of their vocal folds. HTH!

  7. #7
    Polly Marie
    Guest Polly Marie's Avatar

    Post

    I tried loading Kit's paper again into the typewriter. I couldn't do it by putting the paper on the left side of the carriage, but had no trouble by placing the paper on the extreme right end of the carriage. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    When I first received the typewriter a few months ago, I couldn't hear the ding and asked my hubby to fix it! He took it apart without listening to it and put it back together without finding anything wrong. He then listened for the ding, heard it every time! I can just hear it in a very quiet room. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Polly Marie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •